|Help > Self Help > Email > Outlook Express
This always popular mail client is easy and quick to set up. Just follow our guide and you'll be sending and collecting your email in no time at all!
1 Open Outlook Express. Select Accounts from the Tools menu.
2 Select Add then Mail. Proceed to the next step. If you already have a PlusNet profile for our server, select Properties instead, and you can proceed to this step.
3 Follow the wizard questions through. Make sure you enter your correct email address:
Your email address is in the format email@example.com, where 'alias' can be any word that you like, such as your first name. Your username is the single word you chose (username) when signing up with us. If you have registered and hosted a domain on your PlusNet account, you may specify your email address in the format firstname.lastname@example.org
4 Click Next to proceed. Now fill in the settings as shown below:
(1) Incoming server: mail.plus.net
(2) Outgoing server: relay.plus.net
Click Next to proceed. Log on using: username (your single word username that you chose when you signed up with us).
For example: in the case of email@example.com the 'POP account name' is bloggs.
Enter your normal PlusNet password. Make sure both are in lowercase.
5 Enter a name for the account in the 'Internet mail account name' field shown below. This can be anything you want. Most people choose to enter PlusNet.
6 Select: Connect using Connect using my phone line
7 Select: 'Use an existing dial-up connection': "PlusNet". Click next, then Finish. You can now use Outlook Express to send and receive email.
8 If you need to edit the properties in the future, Select Accounts from the Tools menu, as above. Then select the PlusNet profile, and click Properties.
If you have used the Wizard to setup, then you have now finished. You should now be able to send and receive email.
Editing your Email Settings
You can now edit the General settings. Enter your details:
(1) Name: This is the name that will appear on the email that you send out. Organisation: You may leave this blank or, if using your email for business, enter your company name here.
(2) E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org where 'alias' can be any word that you like, for example your first name. Username should be the single word that you chose when you signed up with us. If you have registered and hosted a domain with your PlusNet account you may enter your address as email@example.com (replacing the domain with your own of course). Reply address may be left blank, unless you wish the recipients of your mail to respond to a different email address.
9Again, edit the Servers settings, click on the Tab. Make sure your Account name (username) and Password are both in lowercase.
(1) Outgoing mail (SMTP): relay.plus.net
(2) Incoming mail (POP3): mail.plus.net
10 Select the options as shown below. Leave the settings on the Security and Advanced tabs as the defaults. You can now use Outlook Express to send and receive email. You can test this by sending an email to yourself. Please ensure that the box marked "My Server Requires Authentication" is left unchecked.
If you are having problems sending mail at this point, try changing the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" setting to relay1.plus.net .