On 1st September 2016 we’ll be making some changes to our products and pricing – here’s a handy FAQ that covers everything that’s changing.
Why are we making changes?
Over the past year we’ve been working really hard to make improvements to our products and services that will make your experience as a Plusnet customer better than ever.
We’ve invested in our network to make it even more reliable, we’ve re-written and re-vamped all of our Help & Support content so it’s even easier for you to find answers to your questions, and we’ve launched a new and improved Community site where you can talk to other Plusnet users and get tips and advice.
Most importantly of all, we’ve been investing in staff to make sure we’re always available to answer your calls or chats at our UK call centres.
All this investment means that from time to time we have to make price increases so that we’re able to continue providing you with an award-winning service.
Which services are affected?
The changes apply to Plusnet line rental, home phone packages and some broadband packages, as well as some of our call rates, service fees and early termination charges. They will come into effect from 1st September 2016, and you’ll see the new pricing appear on your next bill from that date.
What changes are you making to broadband speeds?
From 1st August 2016, for some of our Unlimited Fibre customers we are making a change to their upload and download speeds. If you are affected by this change you’ll receive an email letting you know. If you don’t receive a communication from us then your speeds will remain unaffected.
Broadband download speeds are important for most of the stuff you do online, such as browsing, streaming TV, watching videos, gaming and downloading files. So for eligible customers we’re increasing the download speed limit of your Unlimited Fibre broadband from up to 38Mb to up to 52Mb‡ , which means you might find your connection gets faster. We’re also making some changes to the maximum upload speed from up to 19Mb to up to 9.4Mb.
What changes are you making to line rental?
The price of our £16.99 a month line rental package will increase by £1 to £17.99 a month.
Line Rental Saver price freeze – save £30 a year*
Great news – the cost of our Line Rental Saver isn’t changing, so you can sign up to save £30 a year. With Line Rental Saver you pay £185.88 in advance for 12 months line rental, which works out at the equivalent of £15.49 a month, compared to our new price of £17.99 a month.
What changes are you making to Broadband?
We’re changing the price of some of our older broadband products;
- Broadband Essentials with phone broadband price will increase by £1 from £5.99 to £6.99 per month (otherwise from £12.99 to £13.99 per month for customers in non-low-cost areas).
- Broadband Value with phone broadband price will increase by £1 from £6.49 to £7.49 per month (otherwise from £12.99 to £13.99 per month for customers in non low-cost areas).
- Plusnet Unlimited Broadband Only (broadband without home phone) will increase by £1 from £12.49 to £13.49 per month (otherwise from £19.49 to £20.49 per month for customers in non low-cost areas).
- Unlimited Broadband only (broadband without home phone) will increase by £1 from £12.49 to £13.49 per month (otherwise from £19.99 to £20.99 per month for customers in non low-cost areas).
- Value Broadband Only (broadband without home phone) will increase by £1 from £7.99 to £8.99 per month (otherwise from £14.49 to £15.49 per month for customers in non low-cost areas).
What changes are you making to call plans?
For existing Plusnet customers, these are the changes we’re making to our current paid for call plans:-
||Current charge (per month)
||Charge (per month) from 1st September 2016
|Evening & Weekends
(if not included in your line rental)
As of 1st September our Evening & Weekend and Anytime call plans will be changing, and for new customers will be replaced by these two new products:
Evening and Weekend UK & Mobile calls - £4.00 per month
Evening and Weekend: Calls of up to an hour to UK landlines beginning with 01, 02, 03, 0845 and 0870 made Monday to Friday 19:00 to 7.00 and any time Saturday or Sunday (except calls to indirect access numbers (which include calling cards) and dial-up Internet access. Calls must be started and finished within these times to be inclusive (non-chargeable).
Mobile calls: Calls to UK mobile numbers made Monday-Friday 19:00-07:00 and anytime Saturday or Sunday Calls must be started and finished within these times to be inclusive (non-chargeable) Fair usage limit of 1,000 minutes applies. Hang up and re-dial before 60 minutes and you won't be charged.
Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls - £8.00 per month
Anytime: Calls of up to an hour to UK landlines beginning with 01, 02, 03, 0845 and 0870 at any time
(except calls to indirect access numbers (which include calling cards) and dial-up Internet access.
Mobile: Calls to UK mobile numbers at any time. Fair usage limit of 2,000 minutes applies. Hang up and re-dial before 60 minutes and you won't be charged.
If you’re an existing Plusnet customer and would like to update your call plan to one of the new products, you can do so from 1st September.
What changes are you making to individual call charges?
Charges have gone up in-line with BT’s new pricing for our call set-up fee (where applicable) and we’re making calls to mobiles the same price as calls to landlines.
||Charge from 1st September 2016
|Call Set Up Fee
(if not included in your line rental)
|16p per call
||19p per call
||10p per minute
||12.54p per minute
||13p per minute
||12.54p per minute
What other changes are you making?
The cost of sending an engineer to your property will increase from £50.00 to £65.00. Please note this fee is only charged in certain circumstances, such as if you miss the appointment, the engineer can’t access your property or, in the case of faults, the fault is found to be within the bound of your property. To see the full details take a look at our T&Cs.
Our early termination charges are also changing. These charges are incurred when you terminate your contract within the minimum term, and are calculated according to which service you have, along with the amount of time remaining on your contract. You can see the details below :-
||New charge per month remaining, from 1st September 2016
|Plusnet Essentials (without Phone)
|Plusnet Essentials Fibre
|Unlimited (without Phone)
|Unlimited Fibre (Without Phone)
|Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
|Unlimited Fibre Extra
|Plusnet Essentials Fibre (Without Phone)
|Plusnet Unlimited Fibre (Without Phone)
|Unlimited Fibre Extra (Without Phone)
* Line Rental Saver is payable in full, in advance and provides 12 months standard phone line rental. After this, you can renew for another 12 months; otherwise you'll be charged at the standard monthly line rental rate. Line Rental Saver does not provide inclusive calls as standard. Any additional call plans, call features or call charges will be billed each month. In the event of a house move, Line Rental Saver can be transferred to the new phone line without penalty. If you cancel Line Rental Saver within 14 days of your order you will get a full refund of your advance payment. If you cancel after this time, Line Rental Saver is non-refundable.
‡ Fibre broadband speed is described as 'up to' because your actual download speeds will vary. We'll give you the best download speed available on your line, with up to 76Mb download speed and 19Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre Extra, and up to 52Mb download speed and 9.4Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre. This is dependent on your location, phone line, home wiring and time of day. We'll provide you with a speed estimate when you check availability of our products.