D-Link 2640B - setup guide
- Before you start
- Setting up your hardware
- Installing your D-Link 2640B - Ethernet
- Installing your D-Link 2640B - Wireless
- Connecting to the internet
- Configure wireless security
- Advanced Settings
Your hardware pack contains:
There will also be a microfilter, a quick install guide and a sticker to record your wireless security details.The wireless aerial is packed separately and you will need to attach this.
The user guide on the CD will help you use the D-Link 2640B's advanced features.
Make sure your broadband account has been activated and that you have your broadband username and password. Find these in your welcome mail or the Connection Settings section of the Member Centre.
The D-Link 2640B supports two methods of connecting your computer; Ethernet or Wireless. Your computer will need a wireless adapter if you want to connect via Wireless.
1. Plug one of the provided microfilters into your telephone socket. You'll need one microfilter for each device that uses your telephone line (Sky, fax, additional handsets). Check our Guide To Fitting Microfilters for more information.
2. Plug the grey telephone cable into the microfilter socket marked DSL.
3. Plug the other end of the grey telephone cable into the DSL socket on the back of the router.
4. Connect the power adapter and switch the router on with the power button at the back.
5. The power light will initially be red and the DSL light will flash. Wait until they stop flashing and turn solid green before proceeding to the next section.
- Power socket and switch.
- Ethernet ports (1-4).
- DSL socket.
1. Plug the blue Ethernet cable into one of the 4 available Ethernet ports on your D-Link 2640B.
2. Plug the other end of the Ethernet cable into your computer's Ethernet port.
1. Ensure that your computer's wireless adapter card is installed and working properly.
2. Use your wireless adapter's connection utility, or from My Network Places select Connect to a network.
3. Your D-Link DSL 2640B will show up as dlink. Select it and click the Connect button.
Once your router is installed, you'll need to configure it.
1. Open your web browser and type http://192.168.1.1/ into the address bar.
2. A login window will appear, enter the username and password and click 'Log in'. By default the details are:
- Username: admin
- Password: admin
3. Once you're logged in, click 'Setup Wizard' button:
4. Click next and you'll be asked to change your router password. Enter the current password (default is admin) and the new password, confirm it and click next:
5. On the Select Internet Connection Type screen choose United Kingdom as the Country and Others as the ISP Provider and click 'Next':
6. Enter your broadband username and password, confirm the password and click 'Next':
7. Finally click 'Restart' to reboot the router:
8. Once the router has restarted it will connect to the internet. To confirm this the 'Internet' light on the front of the router will turn solid green.
Wireless security is disabled by default on the D-Link DSL 2640B. Its a good idea to enable this to prevent unauthorised access to your network.
1. Open your web browser and browse to http://192.168.1.1/ and log in. The default username and password are both admin.
2. Click 'Wireless Setup' on the left side of the 'Setup' page to access the wireless settings and click the 'Secure My Wireless Network' button:
3. On this screen you can change or hide the 'Wireless Network Name'. If you find that your wireless signal is poor changing the 'Wireless Channel' may improve this.
By default encryption is set to none, we recommend changing this to WPA-PSK as this is the most secure method. Choose a WPA Key and enter it in the box below. A WPA Key is like a password. Once set you'll need to use this with any computer or games console you want to connect to your wireless network.
Once you've finished click 'Apply Settings':
4. Once the settings are applied you'll need to connect to the router again.
5. Use your wireless adapter's connection utility to scan for available networks. Your D-Link DSL 2640B will show up as the 'Wireless Network Name' you entered above (or dlink if you left it unchanged). Select your network and press connect:
6. You'll be promted for the password you created in step 3.
Enter, confirm this and press 'Connect' to log on to your wireless network:
The following tables explain what the various status lights say about your connection status:
|Off||Router not powered, check power cable and button|
|Red||Router is starting up, should turn green after a short while|
|Green||Router is powered up|
|Off||No DSL cable connected. Microfilter or phone line problem|
|Blinking Green||Router is attempting to connect to the local telephone exchange|
|Green||Connection is OK|
|Off||No device connected|
|Off||No device connected|
|Flashing Green||Device sending / receiving data|
|Off||Wireless not configured|
|Flashing Green||This shows it is operational and transferring data|
The D-Link DSL 2640B offers many advanced features. These can be accessed by clicking the 'Advanced' link at the top of the router setup page.
The router provides help with each of the advanced settings on the right hand side of the page, or by clicking Help at the top of the page.
This page last updated 29th August 2008