- What do I need to do to arrange to move my Plusnet services?
- Will it cost anything to move?
- Will moving to or from a fibre broadband area affect me?
- What will I need to get connected in my new property?
- Will moving affect my monthly bill?
- What speeds will I get at my new property?
- Can I move my Plusnet services if my new property has cable?
- Can I take my telephone number with me?
1. What do I need to do to arrange to move my Plusnet services?
You'll need to call our specialist team to arrange your move. If you can, try to call at least a week before your move. That way we'll be able to get your services up and running at your new property as quickly as possible.
Before you call, read the information below:
If you only want to move your broadband
You'll need a telephone line at your new property before we can move your broadband. We can order one for you if you'd like to take one of our phone packages. Just give us a call and we'll arrange everything for you.
If you'd rather keep your telephone service with another provider, call them and place an order for the line at your new property. Ask them to place a simultaneous order (what's this?) if possible. When you've ordered your new telephone line give us a call and we'll handle the rest.
When you call us to order your move, we'll need to know:
- Your new address
- Your new number
- The date your new telephone line will be ready (if you've ordered from another company)
- Your simultaneous order reference (if applicable)
- When you'd like your service to finish at your current address
If you want to move your broadband and telephone service
All we'll need to know is:
- When you'd like to move them
- Your new address
When you've got these details, give us a call and we'll handle the rest.
It usually takes a week to get your phone and broadband up and running at your new property. If we need to book an engineer it can take a bit longer.
What's a simultaneous order?
With normal telephone orders broadband will be activated about a week after the telephone line is ready. A simultaneous order allows us to get your broadband ready on the same day as your telephone line.
How do I place a simultaneous order?
If you want to take a phone package with us, give us a call and we'll handle this for you as part of the moving process.
If you're keeping your telephone service with another provider, when you call them, ask for a simultaneous order for the provision of a phone line with broadband. It's important to ask this first as changing an order type later on can cause problems.
You'll be asked for the name of your ISP (that's us!) and other details about your order.
When the order is placed, you'll be given a simultaneous order reference (it'll look like ABC123AB or ABC12345678). Call us when you've got this and we'll handle the rest.
2. Will it cost anything to move?
Moving broadband is usually free, but charges can apply in some situations.
If you take one of our phone packages, you may need to pay to install a new phone line or convert an existing one.
Give us a call and we'll confirm if any charges will apply.
When can moving charges apply?
Moving charges may apply on older broadband products (e.g. Plusnet Value, Business Options 1-3).
You'll be charged £65 if you choose to leave within 12 months of moving.
You can move your broadband for free once per contracted period. Additional moves within the same contract period would cost £54.17 + VAT.
If your contract has expired, you can move for free by agreeing to start a new contract or pay for the move up-front (£54.17 + VAT).
3. Will moving to or from a fibre optic broadband area affect me?
Please see the table below for more information. Our Support Team will give you more details and be able to answer more specific questions when you call to arrange your move.
|Moving between fibre optic broadband areas||Moving from a fibre optic broadband area to a standard broadband area||Moving from a standard broadband area to a fibre optic broadband area|
You'll remain on your current broadband product.
Your existing contract will be replaced with a new one
You'll switch to the equivalent standard broadband product on your next billing date.
Your contract will still apply.
If required, we'll send you a free (plus P&P) router.
You can either remain on a standard broadband service, or switch to a fibre optic broadband product - it's up to you
If you switch to fibre optic broadband, we'll send you a free (plus P&P) router.
4. What will I need to get connected in my new property?
It depends on the type of broadband product you're on. Please see the table below for more information.
|Standard broadband||Fibre optic broadband|
We'll arrange for your BT Openreach modem to be collected, so you don't need to take it with you.
When setting up, you'll need to make sure that your telephones, set-top boxes and other devices are connected to a microfilter (just like you did the first time you set your broadband up). See Microfilters - how and why if you need help with this.
Installing fibre optic broadband requires an engineer appointment. We'll arrange this for you as part your move. Engineers are available AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm), Monday to Friday.
- If your broadband product stays the same (e.g. moving from fibre to fibre): Your router should already be configured, so it'll connect to the Internet as soon as you plug in and set it up
- If your broadband product changes (e.g. moving from standard to fibre optic broadband): follow the setup guide included with your router to get connected
5. Will moving affect my monthly bill?
It depends on your package and where you're moving to. Give us a call and our Support Team will be able to confirm if your bill will be affected.[Top]
6. How fast will broadband be at my new property?
We'll give you the fastest speed that your telephone line and broadband product can support. Give us a call and our Support Team will give you a speed estimate.
Find out more about the factors that determine broadband speed in our Broadband speed - the basics guide.[Top]
7. Can I move my Plusnet services if my new property has cable?
In most cases, yes (although we can't supply broadband in Hull). You'll need a telephone line at your new property before we can move your broadband.
We can order one for you if you'd like to take a phone package with us, just give us a call and we'll arrange everything for you.
If you'd rather keep your telephone service with another provider, follow the Moving broadband only steps under question 1.[Top]
8. Can I take my telephone number with me?
Only if your new property is connected to the same telephone exchange as your previous property.
If you're not sure about this, call us and we'll be able to confirm.[Top]
This page last updated 29th May 2013