Email setup: Mac Mail (OS X Snow Leopard 10.6)
In this guide we'll show you how to set up a new email account on Mac Mail version 4.4 (Included with Mac OS X 10.6).
You can use these instructions to set up email for your Plusnet email address or email for a domain hosted on your account.
Open Mail (If it's not on your Dock, you'll find it in the Applications folder).
If this is the first time you've opened Mail, the Welcome to Mail window will appear automatically (continue to step 3).
Otherwise, go to the File menu at the top left side of your screen and select Add Account...
Fill in your Full Name, Email Address and Password. If you need help with these, there's more detail underneath the screenshot.
- Full name: Enter your name (or the name you'd like people to see when you send them email)
- Email Address: Enter the address you're setting up, this could be a Plusnet address (firstname.lastname@example.org) or a hosted domain address (email@example.com)
- Password: Enter the password for your email address. Use your account password unless you're setting up a new mailbox (I don't know what this is)
Press Continue to go to the next step.
Now fill in the Incoming Mail Server details. If you need help with these, there's more detail underneath the screenshot.
- Account Type: Select either POP or IMAP from the dropdown list.
- Description: Enter a useful description of the email address you're setting up (e.g. Mums email). You can put whatever you want here
- Incoming mail server: For POP, this is mail.plus.net, for IMAP this is imap.plus.net.
- User Name & Password: Enter the username and password for the email address you're setting up (I don't know what these are)
When you've finished entering these details, click Continue.
You may see a warning screen like the one below, click Continue.
Make sure Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is unticked, Authentication is set to Password and click Continue.
Now fill in the Outgoing Mail Server details. If you need help with these, there's more detail underneath the screenshot.
- Description: Enter a useful description for the server (e.g. Plusnet relay). You can put whatever you like here
- Outgoing Mail Server: relay.plus.net
If you want to use authentication when sending mail (you don't have to), tick Use Authentication and fill in your Account username and password.
When you've done this click Continue.
Make sure Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is unticked, Authentication is set to None and click Continue.
You'll see a summary of the details you've just entered.
To finish, make sure that Take account online is ticked and click Create.
That's all you need to do. Click Get Mail and your email will be downloaded to your Inbox.
Your email username and password
Setting up for the first time?
- Email username: Your Account username
- Email password: Your Account password
Your Account username and password are the ones you log in to this website with.
Setting up an additional Plusnet email address?
- Email username: Your mailbox username (in the format username+mailboxname)
- Email password: Your mailbox password
If you're not sure what these are, check the email we sent after the new address was created.
This page last updated 25th January 2011