Check or change email settings: Microsoft Outlook 2010
Follow these instructions to check or edit the settings for your Plusnet or hosted domain email address.
In Outlook 2010, go to the File tab, make sure Info is selected from the left menu and select Account Settings.
Select the email account you want to check or edit and click Change...
You'll now see the Internet E-mail Settings screen. From here you can check and edit any of the settings for your email account (look below the screenshot if you're not sure what the settings should be).
- Your Name: This should be your name (or the name you'd like people to see when you send them email)
- E-mail Address: This should the address you're editing, this could be a Plusnet address (email@example.com) or a hosted domain address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Account Type: This will either say POP3 or IMAP (this setting can only be chosen when setting an account up)
- Incoming mail server: For POP3, this needs to be mail.plus.net, for IMAP this needs to be imap.plus.net
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): This should be relay.plus.net
- User name & Password: Make sure you've entered the username and password for the email address you're setting up (I don't know what these are)
- More Settings: Clicking this will allow you to check and edit the advanced settings for your email account (click here to find out more)
When you've finished editing the settings, click Next.
Outlook will now test the settings you've entered. Click Close when the test is finished.
- If the test is successful, click Finish and you're done!
- If the test fails you'll be taken back to the Internet E-mail Settings screen (step 3) to fix the problem
That's all you need to do. If you have any questions about your email service or you experience any problems, please see the Related Articles at the bottom of the page.
Your email username and password
Setting up for the first time?
- Email username: Your Account username
- Email password: Your Account password
Your Account username and password are the ones you log in to this website with.
Setting up an additional Plusnet email address?
- Email username: Your mailbox username (in the format username+mailboxname)
- Email password: Your mailbox password
If you're not sure what these are, check the email we sent after the new address was created.
More Settings for your Outlook 2010 Email account
The advanced settings for your email account are split between four tabs: General, Outgoing Server, Connection and Advanced.
Below we'll explain what you can edit under each tab.
If you make any changes that you want to keep, click OK to close the window.
On this tab you'll see the name of the account holder and email address.
Make sure these are entered correctly. You can leave the Reply E-mail and Organization fields blank unless you have reason not to.
Here you can switch on SMTP authentication. If you want to do this, please see our Outlook 2010 SMTP authentication guide.
Use this tab to configure how Outlook 2010 connects to the Internet. Unless you use different connection types (e.g. dial-up or mobile dongles), you should leave this set to Connect using my local area network (LAN).
Unless you want to change the length of time messages are stored on our servers after downloading, You shouldn't need to alter the settings on this tab.
If you're using IMAP (rather than POP3), the Incoming server port number will be 143, otherwise your settings should match the screenshot below.
This page last updated 2nd March 2011