Check or change email settings: Outlook Express
Follow these instructions to check or edit the settings for your Plusnet or hosted domain email address.
In Outlook Express, go to Tools on the top bar and select Accounts...
Select the email account you want to check or edit and click Properties.
Your email account settings are split between 5 tabs: General, Servers, Connection, Security and Advanced.
Below we'll show you what's available on each tab.
If you make any changes, click OK to close the window.
On this tab you'll see the name of the account holder and email address (look below the screenshot if you're not sure what the settings should be).
- Name: This should be your name (or the name you'd like people to see when you send them email)
- E-mail Address: This should the address you're editing, this could be a Plusnet address (email@example.com) or a hosted domain address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
You can leave Organization and Reply address blank unless you have reason not to.
This tab shows your email server and login settings (look below the screenshot if you're not sure what the settings should be).
- Incoming mail server: For POP3, this needs to be mail.plus.net, for IMAP this needs to be imap.plus.net
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): This should be relay.plus.net
- E-mail username & Password: Make sure you've entered the username and password for the email address you're setting up (I don't know what these are)
You can also switch on SMTP Authentication here, see our SMTP Authentication for Outlook Express guide for help with this.
Use this tab to tell Windows Mail how to connect to the Internet. Unless you use different connections (e.g. dial-up or mobile dongles), leave the checkbox unticked, which will grey out the rest of the page as shown in the screenshot.
Use the settings on this tab to encrypt or digitally sign your emails. This is not something we support so we can't offer any advice on this.
Unless you want to keep a copy of your email messages on our server, you shouldn't need to alter the settings on this tab.
If you're using an IMAP account, the Incoming server port number should 143, otherwise your settings should match the screenshot below.
Your email username and password
Setting up for the first time?
- Email username: Your Account username
- Email password: Your Account password
Your Account username and password are the ones you log in to this website with.
Setting up an additional Plusnet email address?
- Email username: Your mailbox username (in the format username+mailboxname)
- Email password: Your mailbox password
If you're not sure what these are, check the email we sent after the new address was created.
This page last updated 2nd March 2011