- Do I get any webspace?
- How do I upload files to my webspace and where can I see my website?
- Can I host MP3 files or host streams from my website?
- Can I use scripts or install software to my webspace?
- How do I password protect my website?
- Can I use my webspace with HTTPS (SSL security)?
- Are webstats available for my site?
- My site has been removed, what do I do to get it back?
1. Do I get any webspace?
Our current residential broadband products aren't sold with webspace, but if you switch from an older product that already has webspace, you'll be able to keep it.
|Product type||Webspace allowance||Daily transfer allowance||CGI access?|
|Business Broadband Option 1||100MB||100MB||No|
|Business Broadband Option 2||250MB||250MB||No|
|Business Broadband Option 3||500MB||500MB||No|
- Webspace Allowance: the amount of data you can store on our servers
- Daily Transfer Allowance: the amount of data transferred to and from your website in a 24-hour period, including all webpages, images and other files
- CGI access: if this is available then you'll be able to use scripts and web software, see question 4 for more on this
2. How do I upload files to my webspace and where can I see my website?
Our webspace connection details guide will show you how to connect and where to find your site.[Top]
3. Can I host MP3 files or host streams from my website?
You can host mp3 files but you should be aware that displaying or distributing copyrighted works is illegal if you don't own the rights. It's also a breach of our acceptable use policy.
Streaming is not supported on your webspace.[Top]
4. Can I use scripts or install software to my webspace?
There are two ready made scripts you can use (Email Form and the Webcounter). Find out more about them in our Webspace Script guide.
If you have CGI webspace (see the question 1) you can use PHP, Perl and other scripting languages along with a MySQL database. This will allow you to install and run popular web software such as WordPress and SMF Forums. If CGI is available you'll need to activate it before you can use it. Go to Website settings in My Account to do this.
Our servers don't support ASP or FrontPage (FrontPage access was switched off for all customers on 16th October 2009).[Top]
5. How do I password protect my website?[Top]
6. Can I use my webspace with HTTPS (SSL security)?
Yes, although you'll need to use a different address to view your site. The format of the secure address for your site is: https://homepages.plus.net/username/
Hosted domains and your regular virtual domains (www.username.plus.com,ccgi.username.plus.com etc) don't support SSL. You can learn more in our SSL security guide.[Top]
7. Are webstats available for my site?
Yes, see our Webstats FAQ for more information on this.[Top]
8. My site has been removed, what do I do to get it back?
If the files on your website have breached our acceptable use policy, or if your site has repeatedly exceeded its daily allowance, then your site may be removed. We'll contact you via email if this happens.
To get your site back, you will need to confirm that you understand why your website has been removed, and agree to take action to stop this happening in future.
You can do this by completing the form below and copying it into a new Help Assistant question. Please replace all information within the brackets with appropriate information:
++ MESSAGE FOR NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR ++ I, (ENTER YOUR NAME HERE), confirm that I understand why my site had access removed. I would like to request that my site is reactivated as soon as possible. I propose to prevent this action reoccurring by (ACTIONS TO TAKE). I also understand that if this problem persists, then Plusnet may restrict my site further, and if necessary, remove the site permanently. ++ END OF MESSAGE ++
This page last updated 19th December 2012