Plusnet Protect powered by McAfee is a security suite designed to keep you, your family and your Windows computers safe from online dangers and threats. You can find out more about the options it offers and how to use it here.
About the service
- What is Plusnet Protect?
- What features come with Plusnet Protect?
- Will it run on my computer?
- How much does it cost?
- How do I get Plusnet Protect?
- Does it replace my current security software?
- What if I change my Plusnet product?
- How can I remove the Plusnet Protect service?
Using the service
- How long does it take to install?
- I'm having problems downloading the software. What do I do?
- How do I scan my PC for viruses?
- Plusnet Protect is showing me the message 'Your Computer is at risk'. Why? What do I do?
- What happens if Plusnet Protect finds an infected file?
- Do I need to update the software myself?
- Can I re-add Plusnet Protect to my account?
- How do I restore my default firewall settings?
About the service
1. What is Plusnet Protect?
Plusnet Protect powered by McAfee is a series of programs designed to protect you, your family and your computers when using the Internet. It's available for all Plusnet residential broadband customers as an Add-On.[Top]
2. What features come with Plusnet Protect?
The main features of Plusnet Protect are:
- Blocks viruses - Anti-Virus software stops viruses getting onto your computer, checks there are none already there and removes any found
- Blocks spyware - Anti-Spyware software stops spyware being installed and removes existing spyware, keeping your data safe
- Stops hackers - The firewall prevents unauthorised access to your computer and your data
- Identity protection - Anti-Phishing software protects your identity
- Protects children - Parental controls lets you set boundaries, so your children can browse the Internet, with offensive content and pictures filtered out
3. Will it run on my computer?
Plusnet Protect works with Internet Explorer and Firefox on the following Operating Systems:
- Windows XP (32 bit)
- Windows Vista (32 and 64 bit)
- Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)
Your computer needs to have the following minimum specification:
- 256MB RAM
- 350MB of free hard drive space
- 300MHz processor
Note: Plusnet Protect doesn't currently work with Apple Macintosh computers.[Top]
4. How much does it cost?
The price depends on your broadband product:
- £2 a month for Plusnet Essentials customers
- It's free for Plusnet Unlimited customers
To see prices for older broadband products (e.g. Plusnet Value, Broadband Your Way), please see our Broadband product archive.
5. How do I get Plusnet Protect?
Go to Add-Ons and chose Plusnet Protect from the list.
When the installer is ready for download, we'll send an email to your contact address.
6. Will it replace my current security software?
Yes. In most cases, Plusnet Protect will be able to automatically remove any existing security software during installation.
- Security software less than 6 months old may not be automatically removed, and should be manually removed before trying to install Plusnet Protect.
- Security software more than 6 months old should be automatically removed. Here's a list of software that Plusnet Protect will remove:
All versions of Yahoo! Online Protection
Norton Internet Security versions 2007, 2008, 2009
AVG Internet Security
Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 2007, 2008, 2009
CA Internet Security 2009
Trend Micro Internet Security 2009, 2008
F-Secure Internet Security 2009, 2008, 2007
Bit Defender Internet Security 2008
avast! 4 Professional Edition
Avira Premium Security Suite v8
ISS BlackIce Defender Firewall 2006
7. What if I change my Plusnet product?
- If you move to Plusnet Essentials, you will be charged £2 a month for Plusnet Protect.
- If you move to Plusnet Unlimited, Plusnet Protect will be included for no additional cost.
8. How can I remove the Plusnet Protect service?
You can remove Plusnet Protect from your service in the Add-Ons section of the Member Centre. To remove the software from your PC you'll need to uninstall this by going to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.[Top]
Using the service
9. How long does it take to install?
In most cases, the download and installation should be completed within about 30 minutes.[Top]
10. I'm having problems downloading, installing or using the software. What do I do?
Please refer to our Plusnet Protect user guide.
If that doesn't help, please contact our Support Team, providing as much information as you can about your problem.[Top]
11. How do I scan my PC for viruses?
There are 3 ways to scan for viruses. You can either:
- Right click the McAfee icon on your PC's taskbar (you'll find this at the bottom right corner of your screen). Then choose Run a scan
- Click Real-Time Scanning on the Plusnet Protect homepage. Then click Scan your PC
- Or click Virus and Spyware Protection under Features and then Scan Your PC
12. Plusnet Protect is showing me the message 'Your Computer is at risk'. Why? What do I do?
This means you're not running 'real-time scanning'. You can turn it on as follows:
- Click on Real-time Scanning on the Plusnet Protect homepage
- Click on Real-time Scanning settings
- Click Turn On
Your status bar will turn green and say 'Your Computer is secure'. For more details, see the Plusnet Protect user guide.[Top]
13. What happens if Plusnet Protect finds an infected file?
Plusnet Protect will try and clean the infected file. If this isn't possible you'll be given the option to quarantine the file, block access to it, or remove it completely.[Top]
14. Do I need to update the software myself?
Plusnet Protect will automatically check for updates. So long as you're connected to the Internet, it will check every 4 hours. However, you can manually check for updates if you wish.[Top]
15. Can I re-add Plusnet Protect to my account?
Yes, you can sign up for Plusnet Protect again at any time by:
- Going to your Add-Ons page (you'll need to sign in with your Account Username and Password)
- Clicking the Add button next to 'Plusnet Protect powered by McAfee'
16. How do I restore my default firewall settings?
You can easily change back to your default settings by:
- Clicking Firewall on the Plusnet Protect homepage
- Clicking Settings
- Clicking Restore Defaults
This page last updated 19th December 2012