- Why does the price change depending on where the service is provided?
- What happens to my service while I switch to Plusnet?
- Do I need to contact my current provider?
- Will my current provider charge me if I switch?
- How long will it take to move to Plusnet?
- How long do I have to stay with Plusnet for?
- Is support included?
- What equipment will I need?
- Does anyone need to come to my property?
- What happens after I signup?
- Will I stay online until I'm connected?
- How will I be billed?
- What contract and setup options are there?
Why does the price change depending on where the service is provided?
We can supply broadband to all parts of the UK but the cost may be higher for a small amount of our customers depending on where they live in the UK. This is because it costs us more to provide broadband in certain areas. We call these areas non-low cost areas (also known as Market A), which constitute about 10% of the UK. The other 90% constitutes low cost areas (also known as Market B).
Please note: Plusnet reserves the right to reclassify non-low cost areas to low cost areas at its discretion; it shall not reclassify a low cost area as a non-low cost area unless required to do so under UK law.
What happens to my service while I switch to Plusnet?
You'll still be able to do all the things you normally do online whilst we switch your broadband (and phone service, if you've taken a phone package) over to Plusnet.
Once we've let you know your service is ready you'll need to set up your hardware, activate your broadband connection and log in to your new service. Installation is very straightforward and we have lots of step-by-step setup guides to help you.
Do I need to contact my current provider?
Once you've chosen a package and signed up, we'll contact your current provider to arrange the transfer for you. If you're switching from a cable service, you'll need to contact them to cancel any services that you no longer require.
Will my current provider charge me if I switch?
It won't cost you anything to switch your broadband, however they might hold you to any contract you've taken out with them. (i.e. you may need to pay any outstanding charges).
How long will it take to move to Plusnet?
This depends on your current service and provider, but switching should take between 10-12 working days. If an engineer is required to install your phone, your broadband service will be switched on the same day as the installation.
How long do I have to stay with Plusnet for?
Please see What contract and setup options are there?
Is support included?
UK based customer support is available 24/7 365 days a year.
Alternatively you can call us on 0800 028 0282.
What equipment will I need?
- An active Plusnet or other BT compatible landline
- A compatible router
- One microfilter per active phone socket
- An Internet capable computer
All packages can be ordered with a wireless router, or you can use your own. We strongly advise taking one of our routers, unless you're an experienced Internet user. Some routers from other providers may be locked to prevent them from working with other services.
Your computer needs:
- An Internet browser
- A compatible connection port, either:
- An Ethernet port
- Wireless 802.11 (B, G or N)
For support with your connection you'll need:
- PC - Windows XP and above
- MAC OS X 10.0 and above
Does anyone need to come to my property?
In some cases an engineer may need to install a new phone line at your property (if you don't already have a phone line, or if you're switching over from a cable service). If you do need this work doing we'll tell you when you sign up and you'll be able to book an engineer appointment that's convenient for you.
What happens after I signup?
After you've signed up we'll confirm your account details and tell you what will happen next. This depends on:
- whether you've signed up to broadband and/or Business Phone and which service will be activated first
- if you're switching from another provider
- if you need an engineer to visit your property.
After you've ordered your Plusnet service, we'll email you to confirm your order details and tell you happens next. Of course, we'll keep you updated about the progress of your order until it's active.
Will I stay online until I'm connected?
Yes, normally you'll still be able to do all the things you normally do online whilst we switch your broadband (and phone service, if you've chosen Business Phone) over to Plusnet.
In some cases an engineer may have to carry out work at the telephone exchange and green cabinet on the day your service goes live. In these cases your phone may be disconnected for a short period while this is carried out. If possible, you should make alternative arrangements to enable you to make calls during this period
Once we've let you know your service is ready you'll need to set up your hardware, activate your broadband connection and log in to your new service. Setting up is very straightforward and we have lots of step-by-step guides to help you.
How will I be billed?
We'll bill you once a month for your Plusnet services. Broadband and phone subscriptions are payable in advance. Call and usage charges are paid in arrears.
Subscriptions are usually paid for by Direct Debit, or you can choose to pay by card for an additional charge as set out in the charges schedule.
What contract and setup options are there?
- Business Fibre broadband - 12 or 24 month contract: Pay a £50 activation charge (£25 if you take a phone package).
- Business Broadband - 12 or 24 month contract: Pay a £35 broadband activation charge (£10 if you take a phone package).
All pricing is quoted excluding VAT.