How to set up Plusnet email - what settings to use
Plusnet email setup FAQs
What details do I need when I first set up my email?
When you first set up your email application for using your Plusnet email account, it'll ask you for your email username and password. They're usually your:
- Plusnet account username
- Plusnet account password
If you're adding an extra email address that you've set up in Manage My Mail, you'll need to use:
- your mailbox username, typed as username+mailboxname e.g. smith+andrew
- your mailbox password
What other settings do I need?
You'll need to give a few more details when you're setting up your email application. They can be pretty confusing, so here's what to use.
|Outgoing port||587 (recommended) or 25||587 (recommended) or 25|
|SMTP Authentication |
(only needed if you're sending emails from a non-Plusnet Internet connection)*
If you've been with us a while, your domain might be '.force9.co.uk or '.free-online.net'. If so, change '.plus.net' to '.force9.net' or '.free-online.net' for both your incoming and outgoing servers.
What's the difference between IMAP and POP?
IMAP and POP are ways you can download your emails from Plusnet systems to another email application. When you're setting things up, you'll need to choose which one to use.
Here's what they do.
- Emails stay on the Plusnet system even after you've checked them on your computer.
- Whatever you do with your emails happens on all the email applications and devices you're using.
- You'll need to be connected to the Internet whenever you want to check your emails.
- Best if you're using different devices for your emails, like an iPad or smartphone.
- Emails stay on the Plusnet system until you check them on your computer.
- Then your emails move from the Plusnet system to your computer.
- They won't be on the Plusnet system anymore.
- Your emails stay on your computer so you can read them even if you aren't connected to the Internet.
I can't remember my username or password – what can I do?
The username and password for your main (or first) Plusnet email address are the same as your account username and password.
For a reminder of your account username, check the welcome email or letter we sent you when you joined Plusnet or set up your Plusnet email address. If you can't find it, get in touch with us.
If it's your password you've forgotten, go to plus.net/forgotpassword/ and follow the steps.
I'm having problems with an additional mailbox – how can I sort this out?
A mailbox username looks like this: account username+mailbox name.
For a reminder of your username, check the email we sent when you created it.
You'll have chosen your password when you created the mailbox. If you're not sure what it is, reset it by logging in to Manage My Mail.