A summary of General condition C8
General condition C8 FAQs
What are the rules?
When you're about to buy a new mobile phone or plan, we need to give you all of the following information, when you sign up:
- Who the contract is with.
- How long the contract is for.
- What the monthly fee is.
- What's included in the monthly fee – things like how many calls, texts and data.
- What charges there will be outside your plan, like calls and texts to certain mobile and landline numbers, calls to your voicemail service and how calls to premium rate numbers will appear on your bill.
- All your payment terms – how, when, how much.
- How you can terminate your contract and if there will be any charges for doing that.
- When you'll be able to start using the service.
- Any offers you've taken, like line rental discounts or sales incentives, and all the terms and conditions for these. There's more on this further down.
When you buy a new mobile phone or plan from us online or over the phone with one of our team, we need to send you a confirmation of the sale by email soon afterwards.
Before we let a partner company sell mobile services on our behalf, we must take reasonable steps to avoid any fraud. That includes:
- Carrying out credit checks of all the partner companies selling our products or services to make sure they don't have a bad credit history.
- Making sure the directors of the organisation haven't filed for bankruptcy or gone into administration in the past.
- Making sure that our checks stay up-to-date.
We can't pass on any information we obtain about a partner company or use it to gain an unfair advantage.
We need to keep all our sales records for at least six months after any sale. The records will include:
- The date of the sale.
- Where the sale was made - at a shop, online, over the phone with one of our team, or through a partner company (for example the address of a retail shop).
- Signed copies of any contracts either on paper or electronically.
- Recordings of any phone calls of a sale if available.
We must always keep enough information so that we can show that you've agreed to our contract.
What's a sales incentive?
We sometimes offer these if you sign up for a contract or upgrade. They could be things like cashback, vouchers, a free gift, or other rewards. To make sure you're in the know about how all these offers and rewards work, we must:
- make clear any terms and conditions of the offer as well as anything you've got to do to claim your reward
- carry out spot checks or mystery shopping to make sure our sales teams are letting you know everything
- review any complaints about our offers
- make sure the info on any incentives we offer is up to scratch
- check any advertising we do as part of the incentive is accurate.
What are the rules on sales incentives?
We, or if you’ve signed up for one of these offers through a partner company of ours, they, must keep all records of it for at least six months or 90 days after it's been redeemed, whichever is longer.
We should provide you with details on:
- details of the company offering the cashback or reward, along with confirmation that they'll provide the offer
- a full description of the cashback or reward offer
- the terms and conditions of the cashback or reward offer, including how to claim it.