In this guide we'll show you how to set up a new email account on Mac Mail version 5.1 (Included with Mac OS X 10.7).
You can use these instructions to set up email for your Plusnet email address or email for a domain hosted on your account.
If this is the first time you've opened Mail, the Welcome to Mail window will appear automatically (continue to step 2).
Otherwise, go to File on the Mac Mail menu bar and select Add Account...
Fill in your Full Name, Email Address and Password. If you need help with these, there's more detail underneath the screenshot.
- Full name: Enter your name (or the name you'd like people to see when you send them email)
- Email Address: Enter the address you're setting up, this could be a Plusnet address (firstname.lastname@example.org) or a hosted domain address (email@example.com)
- Password: Enter the password for your email address ()
Press Continue to go to the next step.
Now fill in the Incoming Mail Server details. If you need help with these, there's more detail underneath the screenshot.
- Account Type: Select either POP or IMAP from the dropdown list ()
- Description: Enter a useful description of the email address you're setting up (e.g. Mums email). You can put whatever you want here
- Incoming mail server: For POP, this is mail.plus.net, for IMAP this is imap.plus.net
- User Name & Password: Enter the username and password for the email address you're setting up ()
When you've finished entering these details, click Continue.
Make sure Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is unticked, Authentication is set to Password and click Continue.
Now fill in the Outgoing Mail Server details. If you need help with these, there's more detail underneath the screenshot.
- Description: Enter a useful description for the server (e.g. Plusnet relay). You can put whatever you like here
- Outgoing Mail Server: relay.plus.net
If you want to use authentication when sending mail (you don't have to), tick Use Authentication and enter your Account Username and password.
When you've done this click Continue.
You may see a warning screen like the one below, click Continue.
You'll see a summary of the details you've just entered.
To finish, make sure that Take account online is ticked and click Create.
That's all you need to do. Click Get Mail and your email will be downloaded to your Inbox.