Remote support (GoToAssist)
1. What do I need to run a screen-sharing session?
For screen-sharing to work, you'll need the following:
- A support code (we'll provide this)
- A working Internet connection
- A compatible operating system (Windows 2000 and above / Mac OS X 10.4 and above)
- An Internet browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox or Chrome)
2. How do I start a screen-sharing session?
If a screen-sharing is required during a call, our Support Team will direct you here and provide you with a unique support code.
To get started, enter your support code in the box below and click start screen-sharing.
- Internet Explorer: You'll be asked to run the GoToAssist application, click Run to start the session
- Firefox, Chrome and others: You'll be asked to download and run the GoToAssistStarter file, do this to start the session
Don't worry if you're not sure about any of the above, we'll talk you through the each step during the call. Once the session begins, we'll be able to see your screen and share control of your mouse and keyboard.
3. Can you see files on my computer without my knowledge?
No. It's a shared session, so we only see what's on your screen and nothing more. We'll ask you to close any documents containing sensitive or private information before starting the session.
You're always in full control of your computer. You can take control of the mouse at anytime by moving it and you can end a session by clicking the Stop button or closing the GoToAssist window. Disconnecting prevents us from seeing your screen, and removes access to your computer.
4. Is screen-sharing safe?
Yes. Proprietary compression technology and 128-bit end to end AES encryption (also used with online banking) make sure that data sent between your computer and our Support Team can only be viewed using GoToAssist software.
Citrix Online (the providers of the GoToAssist download), perform regular virus checks and updates to make sure files are clean. After use, the files will remain on your computer but they can only be used alongside a valid support code (issued by our Support Team).
Remote sessions will be retained on Citrix servers for 90 days from the date of the session. Sessions are recorded by time and date. By accepting a remote session you are agreeing to Citrix and Plusnet retaining these sessions for this period. Plusnet uses these sessions for quality monitoring purposes.